This is what you will need:
1 – 10 oz Bottle Magnesium Citrate
4 – 5 mg Bisacodyl Pills
1 – Bisacodyl Suppository
These are all available without a prescription under several generic and brand names from any drug store or pharmacy. Your pharmacist can help you put the kit together. The total cost should be less than $10.00.
Virtual Colonoscopy Prep Instructions:
Read these directions and labels at least 48 hours in advance of examination.
This kit will help you prepare for an important exam by cleaning out your lower bowel. It is very important that you follow each step and complete all instructions or the entire examination may have to be repeated.
Individual responses to laxatives vary. Remain close to toilet facilities once you take the Magnesium citrate solution.
Use this 24 hour prep unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
DO NOT USE THIS PREP KIT:
- If you are on a sodium restricted diet
- If you have Heart disease
- If you Kidney problems
- If you have Liver disease
- If you have Megacolon
Diabetics: Diabetics not on insulin should have exam in the early morning and don’t take medications or eat the morning of the exam. Diabetics on insulin should consult their doctor for medication and meal instructions.
All Patients on Medications: Patients should avoid Celebrex, Vioxx, aspirin, and iron-containing pills from the day before until after the exam is completed. Take all other medications with small sips of water.
Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose of liquid or tablets, or ingestion of the suppository, seek professional assistance of contact a Poison Control Center immediately. As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health professional before using this product.
Professional Use Warnings: Do not use in patients with mega colon, as hyper-natremic dehydration may occur. Use with caution in patients with impaired renal function as hyper-phosphatemia and hypo-calcemia may occur. Store at 59-86 F (15-30 C).
DAY BEFORE EXAM
- 8:00 am – Eat a light meal (see Diet Guidelines below)
- 12:00 noon – Lunch All clear liquids. (see Clear Liquid Guidelines below)
- 1:00 pm – Drink at least 8 oz clear liquids
- 2:00 pm – Drink at least 8 oz clear liquids
- 3:00 pm – Drink at least 8 oz clear liquids
- 4:00 pm – Take 10 oz bottle Magnesium Citrate & follow with 8 oz clear liquids
- 5:00 pm – Drink at least 8 oz Clear Liquids
- 6:00 pm – Dinner All Clear Liquids
- 7:00 pm – Drink at least 8 oz Clear Liquids
- 8:00 pm – Drink at least 8 oz Clear Liquids
- 9:00 pm – Take 4 Bisacodyl Tablets (see Bisacodyl Tablets directions below)
DAY OF EXAM
- Do not eat breakfast.
- One hour before leaving for exam: Use Bisacodyl Suppository (see Bisacodyl Suppository directions below)
Clear Liquid Guidelines
- You must drink all the glasses of clear liquids listed in the instructions.
- You may drink more, but not less.
Clear Liquids include strained fruit juices without pulp (apple, white grape, lemonade), water, clear broth or bouillon, and coffee or tea (without milk or nondairy creamer). You may have all of the following that are not colored red or purple: Gatorade, carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks, Kool-Aid (or other fruit flavored drinks), plain jello (without added fruits or toppings) and ice Popsicles.
Light Meal includes: clear soups (fat-free), small portions of skinless chicken, turkey, or fish, boiled or poached egg, white bread (no butter), plus any of the Clear Liquids recommended above.
Do not eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, fats, butter, milk, cheese, beef, port, lamb or whole grain cereals.
Directions for Magnesium Citrate Solution, Bisacodyl Tablets and Bisacodyl Suppository
- Magnesium Citrate Directions: Drink entire 10 oz bottle. Magnesium citrate usually begins to work within one hour.
- Bisacodyl Tablets Directions: Take all four Bisacodyl Tablets unless directed otherwise by your doctor: Swallow tablets whole with a full glass of water. Do not chew or dissolve tablets. Tablets taken at bedtime are usually effective the following morning. Do not give tablets to any person who cannot swallow without chewing, unless directed by a doctor. Do not take tablets within 1 hour after taking antacids and/or milk. This product may cause abdominal discomfort, faintness, rectal burning and mild cramps.
- Bisacodyl Suppository Directions: Remove foil wrap from suppository. Lie on side; insert suppository well up into rectum. Push suppository in gently as far as possible and against bowel wall. Wait 15 minutes before evacuating, even if urge is strong. Suppositories are usually effective within 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- If suppository is soft, put it in the refrigerator 1 to 2 minutes.